Thursday, July 26, 2012

Just another day in the park

            Man, I'm in a mood today. This morning I rushed out of the apartment lugging two large bags full of everything I might need to get me through the day. God knows I won't have time to get back later to change, grab some food or rest in between plans, because it takes forever to go just five miles in any direction here. I've gotten so used to carting everything around in large bags, due to the snail like flow of the MTA, that I tend to do it when I visit my family in the burbs too. The same place where everyone drives just to go two blocks down the street for some milk. "What do you have to carry around that you need that big thing for?" is the usual question I get when I show up at someone's door back home. Everything. My life. You never know. Where all anyone really needs, outside of big cities where public transportation is not the only viable mode of transportation, are a wallet, keys and maybe some makeup for a few touch-ups later in the evening. Because you can just store everything else in your car or drive back home in minutes to grab what you didn't bring. I look like a backpacker touring the country for a month.
            By the time I get to the bus stop, hoping it would get me to the train faster than the twelve minute walk my legs and shoulders would have to endure, I was soaked in sweat. Thanks due to the relentless beams of the sun hovering directly above my head. I always regret waiting for this stupid bus. Of the few times that I've caught it, I'm usually on the brink of bursting with frustration because I could have walked to the train faster. I admit it's my own fault this time. I didn't make the decision to just keep walking, until it was borderline too late and made the wrong choice. Today, I was on the point of tears with anger. I was already on the verge of being late for a lecture with writer, Emily Griffin, at the Bryant Park Reading Room, but this darn bus was making it official. I've been looking forward to hearing Emily talk about her experiences as a writer for a week now, but at this rate I nearly walked myself back home and called it quits. However, I stuck it out another five minutes because I knew, even if I showed up late, it would be better than the regret of not going at all. Finally, the dang thing decided to show up and I surely jumped on, without a smile at the bus driver this time. I'm angry with you buddy. Drive.
            Ultimately, I got on the train but that too felt like going extra slow today. Once it decided to spit me out in front of Bryant Park, I heard Emily's booming voice over the loudspeakers before I could see her. Surrounded by hoards of aspiring writers and tourists who could barely speak English, sat Emily in all her flowing blonde hair in the center. It looked like she had just walked out of the back cover of one of her books. I was about fifteen minutes late but I managed to slide right into the only chair available. Then I realized why. It was sitting in the only spot that wasn't shaded by the massive trees overhead. I nearly yelped in the middle of rather engrossing discourse between Emily and a fellow writer, when my bare legs met the blistering heat of the metal chair beneath me. Muffling the cries of my intense pain, I managed to position myself so that only about two inches of my covered bottom rested on the edge of the chair then, relaxed enough to listen to the easy flow of Emily's dialogue. Apparently, I could have just watched the entire lecture in my pajamas over the Internet at home, because I noticed that there were several cameras recording the entire session. However, there's something very reassuring about seeing a writer in person. It's almost as if they don't really exist until you see them moving or interacting with other humans. And even television doesn't seem to give the full effect that face-to-face communication can bestow. Especially when you know how editing works. Typically, writers are considered to be introverted people, who shy away from the world and hole themselves up for hours at a time or days on end; prone to feel that they can only truly communicate, comfortably, through the mode of their literature. I consider agoraphobic Emily Dickenson as an example. I imagine sometimes that what they really look like is a version of the hunchback Quasimodo, or something toady with large warts protruding from their long greasy noses, ashamed to be seen among society; Especially, if they don't don the back cover of their books with a picture. What are you hiding you brilliant writing machine you? Emily Griffin does not seem like that at all, with her unnaturally good looks and the ever-flowing eloquence of her conversation. I cringe at the thought of ever having to do what she's doing right now, publically promoting the recent release of her newest novel, Where We Belong, in front of all of these people. Her words of admission are a comfort, however, and what I can tell from the faces of these other would be writers, they feel likewise. It can be a struggle to turn out something that not only satisfies your creative needs, but also, be able to tell a coherent story that people will want to read. I'm a fan of Emily's writing style. It's fun fiction that doesn't go over the top and nestles itself nicely in the form of reality. Forty years old and she is the successful writer of five best sellers, one that became a hit movie called Something Borrowed, and still looks like she's not a day over thirty. Good for her I say, so sad for me, I feel. I'm thirty-two years old and writing a blog--for free. I am grateful to at least have this avenue for self-expression. It does get me up in the morning some days, so my thanks to you blogger world. Maybe one day this too could become a book, or even a movie. We'll see.
            At the end of the lecture, a line forms in front of Emily that quickly swirls in and out of the rows of chairs halfway down the north side of the park. I have one of her books with me but I just watch everyone else file up for her signature. I always found it awkward to ask for an autograph or try to have a conversation with someone you know more about than you should but have never met personally. What do you say/ask them that they haven't already heard or you don't already know? So I sit there for a little while, taking in the park and the people around me.
            Historically, the Bryant Park Reading Room began back in the mid 1930's, during the Great Depression. With nothing to do and nowhere to go, due to the lack of jobs in New York City in that time, the Public Library opened the "open air" library where businessmen and intellectuals could go where they didn't have to spend money, require identification or a valid address to borrow literature. Nearly a decade later, shortly after America joined WWII, the reading room was closed due to the job market increase. In the early 90's a non-profit corporation was formed to restore the park and the reading room was reopened in the same style in which it began nearly half a century ago.
            The park itself is a great place to retreat to when you need a little nature and you're stuck between the concrete and steel of midtown. It's not nearly as big as Central Park, by any means, but it is a good stretch of green lawn surrounded by tall trees shading dozens of cafe tables and chairs. The free Wi-Fi attracts the computer savvy and starved writers who need time away from roommates or can't afford the service themselves. Not to mention some intense Ping-Ponging tournaments that take place during the warm weather months. I can sit there and watch these competitions all day. If you thought Forest Gump was good, get a load of some of the guys that play there. It almost looks as if the tiny ball, bouncing rhythmically from their paddles and off the table, is actually attached by a clear rubber band between them, having no choice but to find it's way back to the contestants. During the early afternoon, tourists find rest from the heat under the shade of the trees, dodging falling pigeon poop from cascading on their sweaty heads while corporate tycoons take their lunch breaks away from the confines of their offices. I'm about to go to work in a few minutes so I stay in the park as long as I can before I have to head out, stuffing my face with a makeshift sandwich I had just enough time to put together before I ran out of the apartment this morning. I'm at one with the world again. My qualm with New York transportation has subsided and balance has been restored. I wonder if this is how Louis Armstrong felt when he wrote his hit song, "What a Wonderful World." In this moment, it kind of is.

No comments:

Post a Comment