Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I beg your pardon

            When I was about ten years old, my parents had me enrolled in Sunday classes at our local church, which I reluctantly went to every week. In that year, I the class was taught by one of the sweetest and wisest people I had ever crossed paths with in my adolescent life. Coincidentally, this nun had the same last name that I did, less the preposition Da, meaning "from (the family)," at the beginning, which was a common use of the name. Because of this, I took an instant liking to her. She could be family. Plus, she was the tiniest thing I ever saw. I was already a little taller than average for my age, but at ten, the two of us met eye to eye, so she was speaking at my level, literally. Every Sunday morning that year, I actually looked forward to getting out of bed early to sit in front of Sister Rocha to hear her saintly stories told like she was reading a Grimm classic fairy tale. I sucked up every word like a sponge, always hungry for the entertainment. However, one particular story shook me to the core and I was never the same from that day forward. It was the story of Saint Maria Goretti.
            Maria Goretti was an eleven year-old Italian martyr who was also one of the youngest canonized saints in the Roman Catholic Church. She was killed after suffering multiple stab wounds when refusing to submit to her nineteen-year-old attempted rapist when her parents were out. After being stabbed fourteen times the rapist fled and her younger sister and parents found her in a pool of her own blood. Now, here was the part of the story that had me reeling in a stupor for days. Before she died of her injuries, one of the last words that passed through her lips was not, "make sure you do a Lorena Bobbitt on his ass and have that SOB hang by his toes like a piƱata and have everyone practice their knife throwing," instead, it was forgiveness. She forgave the nineteen-year-old farmhand that stabbed her to death, while trying to rape her, because she wanted to have him in heaven with her. WHAT? I couldn't believe my little ten-year-old ears. Forgive someone after THAT? Insanity! I used to get into screaming slap fests with my brothers just for small things they would do to me like tugging on my hair or giving me wet willies when I wasn't looking. Forget about forgiveness!  
            I was hit with two realizations that day. First, that something as horrendous as what Maria Goretti went through could actually happen to a child my age, and second, that a human being, much less a child, is capable of that much suffering and still be able to forgive in such a profound way. My little pubescent head was absolutely reeling with this new information. Everything I ever got mad about or wanted retribution for after being wronged in some insignificant way, seemed so ridiculous and petty in comparison. I wanted to ground myself for being such a lame human being after hearing this story. All I could do was sit sheepishly at my tiny desk looking so dumbfounded and bewildered at sister Rocha. After hearing this story, I believe I became a better person. Before that day I felt like I was a spoiled, whiny little brat who usually got whatever she wanted by being mean and sneaky. From that day forward, whenever I got mad at someone for not giving me what I wanted out of life or when I thought of seeking revenge for those wet willies, this story would just as instantly pop into my little noggin and I would transform from a seething, foam faced zombie to a gentle, zen-like monk and turn the other cheek, most of the time. Let's be real, I'm not a saint, but I did try.
            The other night, a friend and I got on the subject of forgiveness while we were at work and she asked me if there was anyone I've ever wanted to forgive who had wronged me in a major way. I stood there looking at her and the story of Maria Goretti popped back to mind after so many years and I thought hard on the only person who ever hurt me in that way. That person I had forgiven so long ago I completely forgot there was anything to forgive in the first place. I told my friend about this realization and sent a silent tribute to that little saint in the sky, and sister Rocha, that sweet nun who showed me the light, always grateful for telling me that story so long ago. Because of her, I can walk through life unburdened by things I cannot change and knowing that I have the ability to make change with three little words...I forgive you.
            However, that all seemed to go right out the window when later that night, after a hard days work, I ran in a frenzy to grab the next train home when just as I had swiped my metro card through the card reader granting me access through the turnstile, a big burly woman came barreling through the very turnstile I had just accessed before I had a chance to walk through, nulling my ability to enter the station. "What the F!" I spat out of my mouth, seething with anger. If it wasn't so late at night, when the trains only ran twenty minute to a half hour between each other, I don't think I would have reacted the way that I did. But, not only was I going to have to wait fifteen minutes before I was able to use my card again, but the next train was due in five minutes and I was going to have to wait another twenty minutes for the next one. After I gave the big burly woman a piece of my instant reaction, I nearly cowered when she turned to look at me. To my relief, she just shrugged her shoulders, uttered a "sorry," which was more like a "sucks to be you," and disappeared around the corner. The second I assaulted the woman with my angry affront, my earlier conversation came back to mind. It was too late to forgive this woman who had robbed me of a good half hour of precious sleep and a chance to clear my chest, I uttered an "I forgive you" in a growl under my breath after she was gone. If I'm wrong about a heaven and my forgiveness was pointless, I sure hope karma exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment