Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blood sport

            The last time I decided to donate blood was in my senior year of high school. There was a blood drive at the school and two of my good friends thought it would be a nice thing to do...and a great way to cut out of classes for the rest of the day. So we signed up, laid back and slapped our arms out for the taking. This happened almost fifteen years ago, therefore my memory of the event is a little hazy now, but I do remember that it was a pretty unpleasant experience. For that reason, it has taken me this long to decide to do it again. About two months ago I happened to notice a sign asking for blood donations with the American Red Cross pinned to the wall at a subway stop, and it had me thinking about it on my way home. While trying to push aside the bad memories of the first and last time I had donated blood, I contemplated the idea of doing it again. After spending some time with Google researching the blood drive, I found that anyone who donated at the next drive, being held at the Mets City Field, receives two tickets to a game next month. Woe Nelly! Sold! I'm not exactly a Mets fan but I've been dying to see a game at the new stadium all season and the tickets have been slowly starting to climb in price as time goes by. I had been putting it off for a while, hoping to get tickets for when they play my beloved Red Sox. Although they're doing atrocious this season, I still love them. It's a Boston thing. You just don't turn your back on the team when they're down, because you'll end up eating your words, or your teeth, if you dare say anything that could even remotely sound like another curse they don't need. Anyway, it didn't matter who the Mets played, I just really wanted to see a game there and secretly hoped they at least played the Yankees, so that I could really root for the Mets. However, by September, I wasn't going to be able to experience this baseball civil war, but why not go for the cause and the fun of the sport?
            All week I've been taking in the extra H2O, that I normally just get from drinking lots of coffee or tea, and stocking up on the iron fortified foods that I'm sure I'm low on because I don't eat red meat. I feel like I'm training for a marathon and prepping my diet for a long haul. I've been a nervous wreck all week about donating this blood of mine and not because of the needle, per se, but because I'm afraid of fainting. In my lifetime I've dropped like a sack of potatoes a minimum of seven times and stopped at least three instances from happening, just in time. I'm as ridiculous as the fair maiden's that Shakespeare and Charles Dickens often wrote about in their stories. Any little thing and I'm swooning. Some of those instances happened when I was younger but I'm certain most of the falls were due to dehydration, because I'm known for never drinking with my food and going hours without so much as a sip of any kind of liquid. I just never feel thirsty so I forget to replenish essential fluids. Luckily, in most of those instances, I was always around a friend or relative to catch my fall, but there were times that I found myself splayed across a floor or a sidewalk and had no one to make sure I didn't crack my head open or keep me safe until I could recover. It's scary. I can always tell when it's about to happen but sometimes it happens so fast I can't find a place to sit or lie down before the lights go out. The first warning is the feeling of lightness, like your head has suddenly morphed into a balloon and wants to take flight from your body. Then just as quickly, your vision begins to take on a brighter shade of yellow as if you're looking at the world as an old picture from the vintage days, faded from over exposure of the sun. Then it's blindness. The black matted edges of the old picture swallow up the light like a shutter and everything goes black, but you know your eyes are still open and you can hear everything that is going on around you. Next thing you know, you can't move your body but you feel hands touching you, grabbing hold of you, pulling you up but you don't know what's happening because you can't see anything. Slowly, vision starts to seep back in with that same yellow hue and the searing pain usually follows it. The pain caused from the fall after landing on something before someone had a chance to catch you. Even if your head never touches the ground some part of the body is going down before someone notices you're about to keel over completely. Whenever this happens to me, I imagine it to be like death or what it must be like for coma patients, and I get freaked out for the rest of the day. I imagine those poor people who are considered brain dead or lying in a hospital somewhere in the coma, helplessly, hearing and feeling everything but are unable to move their bodies or see the people around them. Everyone standing around them believing they have no idea what's going on. I think they do. And it's scary.
            When I drove up to the gate at City Field yesterday, a sweet older man walked out of his closet sized booth and approached my window. When I rolled the glass down to tell him I was there for the blood drive, he looked at me with such a benevolent smile and uttered, "God bless you kids for doing this, it's really nice to see so many people care about others." I returned a smile to the kind man and felt a little better about the situation I got myself into. However, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of guilt about it too. Even though my first intention for donating blood was solely for the cause, getting the free tickets became the reason I didn't back out. I was mixed with pride for my good deed and shame for being a freeloader too. Argh.
            The feeling of nervousness wouldn't leave me when I got inside the beautiful new stadium. I had to remember to take deep breaths without looking like I was in a Lamaze class, so that I could focus on my surroundings while getting the proper amount of oxygen to my brain. When I walked in there were two other women waiting for the elevator that would take us to the donation center on the second level. One was a large middle-aged woman who looked ready to watch a game that very minute. Dressed head to toe in Mets colors and sporting an Ike Davis jersey, she barged into the elevator followed closely by a talkative Chinese woman who acted like she was going to a dress fitting instead of a blood donation. Their cavalier demeanor soothed my anxiety a little because they seemed like veterans of the trade. After checking in at the grand Caesar's Club upstairs and reading the necessary guidelines and restrictions, I was led through the large space that was divided into sections. Walking under long strands of exposed bulbs decorating the ceiling above and the plastic lines carpets below my feet, it felt like I was on my way to meet Dexter Morgan with a cleaver at the other end of this destination. I could just see him there, waiting to drain the blood from my body then cut my limbs in neat little sections to wrap in plastic and toss in the Hudson later. Breathe Marcy, in and out, in and out. What I found at the other end was about a dozen men and women in white smocks and gloved hands standing in a line with manic smiles plastered on their faces to greet me. I didn't know who to look at first. Which one didn't look as bloodthirsty? Amanda, she looked...normal. A stout, brunette, girl next door type. She was the first one to take a step forward, so Amanda it was. With a shaky hand I passed her my file with a forced smile and she led me through a maze of make shift cubbies to her little office. There she questioned my sexuality and gender, a few too many times, and the spelling of my name, even though my driver's license was four inches from her face the whole time. I wondered if brilliant Amanda was going to lay the claim of sucking the blood out of my body too. After the questions where logged onto my file, Amanda proceeded to pull out her tools for testing my blood for its count, iron levels and any sexually transmitted diseases. I'm sure the color was beginning to drain from my face at this point because once she started to wipe my finger I was beginning to see my surroundings in a brighter hue than normal. Good thing I was already sitting down. I can handle a lot of pain, I just don't like knowing it's coming. I'd rather just have it done with so I can get over it. My blood was good; iron levels just hit the mark. Wonderful. Can I have my tickets now before I change my mind?
            After the test, my fearless leader, Amanda, guided me back out of the maze of cubbies towards the bedding area. However, before we got more than two feet away from the maze, a man who looked me over like I was a filet minion, stopped us in our tracks and asked me to show him my arms. Very confused and nervous about his intentions, I showed him my arms like I was a recovering junkie with her parole officer, baring my arms so that he could take a look to see if I was shooting up the night before. "Nah, you can keep her." He said then walked away. Oh, geez. Thanks buddy. Sorry to disappoint you. Amanda was kind enough to explain what he was looking for when she saw my confused face turn into a mixture of hurt and anger. Apparently, the disgruntled plasma-sucker was looking for double red donors but my veins were too small for him. He would have had to probably stab me a few times before he found a decent vein. Good God! Keep that man away from me. I didn't quite know what double red donations were so I asked Amanda what it was and she explained that it was similar to a whole blood donation, except a special machine is used to allow you to donate two units of red blood cells during one donation while returning your plasma and platelets back to you. When she told me this I was a little woozy and disgusted by the whole idea of having that much blood sucked out of my veins then returned back to my body in a degenerated form of itself. Because I have the universally accepted blood Type O, the plasma-sucking vampire was excited by my blood but turned off by its slender form of transportation, so he passed. I was beginning to feel like Sookie from True Blood. It's a good thing he passed too, because I would have been peeved to find out what I was in for after the fact. Apparently, my bad experience back in high school was actually doing a double red donation and I didn't even know it. I realized this when Amanda told me the donation I signed up for would only take about ten minutes to do and I was baffled. As my memory, although a little hazy, serves me correctly, I remembered the last experience lasting nearly an hour. In fact I very clearly remember sitting upright in a chair, being poked twice with a needle then squeezing a ball for about forty minutes. The unpleasant part wasn't so much the insertion of that needle but it was the way in which it was put in. Every time I had to squeeze that ball in my hand the needle was forced to dig into the vein by my arm muscle. Although the pain was almost unbearable, I had to continue to keep squeezing so the vein wouldn't close or slow its flow of blood. A few days later I was walking around with massive bruises and puncture wounds on the inside of my arms that I had people wondering if I was heroine addict or a victim of child abuse. After that, I vowed I would never do it again. Here I am, a decade and a half later, and I assumed that all blood donations were that long and painful and it took me this long to do it again. You live, you learn.
            Once Amanda had me strapped and finally found a vein, in went the sting of the needle and that dang ball I had to squeeze in hand. I couldn't even glance at the needle, even though I could feel its presence beside me like a hungry bee buzzing around my ear. I was afraid if I did, I would be a goner the second I were to sit up from that bed just thinking about it. As I lay there, massaging that ball in my hand every few seconds, I tried to distract myself by watched a bad infomercial on the TV facing away from Amanda and that needle. In my peripheral vision I could still see her hovering by my side, swaying back and forth on her feet as she kept watch of the flow of blood draining from my arm. She reminded me of a painter surveying her work. Every time she checked the bag with a little squeeze of her right hand she would then step back on her left leg, lean herself away from the bed and tilt her head from side to side as if she were double checking the dimensions of her work with the light from the window behind her. Then she would step forward again and give the bag another little squeeze. Less than ten minutes later, a man suddenly came out of nowhere, slid the needle out of my arm and pushed some gauze over the small hole in my vein. As Amanda proceeded to detached the needle from the bag I noticed some slight confusion that registered on her face with the arrival of this man. It had me wondering if something was wrong at first, then if he was supposed to even be there. Was he bored? Is pulling needles out of donor's arms his sole purpose for being there? Amanda had done all of the work on her own, up to this point, what was this guy doing here, sliding in like he was tagging into first base at a game? He seemed satisfied with his work though. Glad I could give him the pleasure he seeked. I was just grateful the whole thing was over.   
            After I was bandaged up Amanda lead to the recovery area where various sweets, juices and water were lined in a buffet on a table like something you would find at a child's birthday party. I couldn't look at anything but a glass of OJ before sitting down. Nothing seemed appetizing even though sugar is a weakness of mine. A few minutes later the Chinese woman I rode up on the elevator with sat in the chair next to me. We began a conversation that started with our recent experience then it turned into a discussion about our families over the pictures she pulled out of her purse. She even had a picture of her wedding from twenty-two years ago. Talk about carrying your life in a bag. Apparently, donating blood has been more like an obsession for her than anything else. This forty-two year old woman first started donating blood a few years ago, for a fleece blanket the New York blood bank was giving away to its donors. She wanted a blanket, so she gave them a pint of her blood in exchange for one. Then she started coming to the Red Cross with her husband to get Mets tickets for the both of them and their two daughters. Along with tickets, for every donation you also get a little pin in the shape of a blood drop donning the iconic Red Cross in its center. This woman made sure to get her latest pin from the nurse going around the recovery area checking in on us, to add to her growing collection of souvenirs. When she told me about all of the donations she's done over the past few years, I was mixed with awe at her wonderful sense of giving and also worried about her health. This little obsession couldn't be good for the body when you do it as much as she does. As nice as it is to do this, I worried her intentions now became more about what she could collect on a material basis. I imagined her home looking like an episode of Hoarders and I was tempted to tell her that maybe she should take a break for a few months and consider donating some of the goods she's horded from the Red Cross and New York blood bank and give them to the poor instead of her blood for a while. Suddenly I wasn't so worried about the measly pint of blood I had just lost when this woman has lacked nearly a pint of blood for the last half dozen years.
            After jabbering about our lives for nearly an hour, it was time to go about our lives and continue our recuperation for the day. We both went to collect our prizes together before leaving Citi Field at the front entrance. There we each received two tickets sitting next to each other for September 17th's game against the Phillies, so we knew we would see each other again soon and bid each other farewell until then. I wonder if the Mets know about the real blood, sweat and metaphorical tears we actually shed for these tickets?
            When I got home all I wanted to do was sleep. Nothing else sounded even remotely exciting on a Saturday off, but bed. I slept for three hours then when I woke up I ordered some pizza. With a small pineapple and onion pie resting on my lap I sat lazily on the couch for the rest of the evening watching back-to-back episodes of The Sopranos. As they sprayed each other with bullets and beat each other into bloody pulps on the screen, I eventually lost my appetite half way through my pizza thinking out all the blood floating around this afternoon. I eventually fell back asleep just as the sun set and didn't wake up until this morning. I'm such a wuss. What a waste of a perfectly good Saturday night. Oh, well. I think I deserved a day to be lazy anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment