Friday, December 14, 2012

In the spirit of the season

            I was never much of a big party girl, although, there were those college years–what I can remember of them anyway. But for the most part, I would take a small circle of friends over coffee than shots of tequila at Coyote Ugly any day. So, unless there's a special occasion or a close friend is in desperate need of a night out to forget her latest breakup, I will most likely stay in my pajamas watching back to back episodes of The Vampire Diaries all night, than don a cocktail dress until the wee hours of the morning. The problem is, I work with nearly a hundred different people in the city and although we don't all work at the same time or even on the same days together, you get to know these people and become very attached to them because they're all you have here. Many of us are far from our families and the things we were familiar with and although some of us are from right over the bridge, they come here in need of a change and a chance at a new and better life than what they had to start with. We're all very much like starved orphans wandering the city, in search of a place to call home. So when one of us has something going on, it's hard not to be a support system or a fellow advocator for them, because otherwise, it can be a sad and lonely existence in the big apple. However, it's just not physically or financially possible to go out for every occasion. So I try to go to those events where more than one person is promoting their career or celebrating something or other and where most of us can gather together at once. Then there are the holiday parties. There's just something about these parties that I just can't resist. For one thing, they're never overly wild and crazy like a twenty-first birthday or a housewarming party, (which happens too often. We like to change apartments like the seasons). There's a little more class and restraint with holiday parties that allow people to dress up without being one dance away from having the boobs fall out or the hairy chests making a world premier. We can look good, be merry and remember most of the night afterwards...for the most part.
            Last night, a lovely group of friends from work decided to throw a Christmas cocktail party at their new apartment. The party had started at eight thirty in the evening and I had intended to be there around that time, nine thirty at the latest, but after squeezing into one outfit and peeling out of another, I found I had nothing remotely suitable to wear that still fit me. I nearly called it quits and slid into sweat pants after going through my entire wardrobe. Oh, now I remember why I don't go out, my closet looks like a ninja lives here. After the Thanksgiving feast I ate last month, I can still see where the stuffing went too. Dang carbs! After nearly two hours of trying to gussy up the hair and trying to look like I know what I'm doing with makeup, I happened to look at the clock and it was ten o'clock. Dropping everything, I settled on the go-to dress when desperately out of other options...the little black dress, a woman's best friend.
            Stumbling down the stairs while trying to figure out where I was going on my cell phone, I realized that the apartment I was heading to sat well over thirty blocks away, and sadly, the fastest way to get there was to walk. I nearly popped open the bottle of wine I had with me just to keep warm and entertained while I pressed through the long haul. When I finally found the inconspicuous abode, I though for sure I was in the wrong place. It was the darkest spot on the block and the windows facing the front of the street were all dark. Where am I? No, I was at the right place. When I rang the bell and got buzzed in, a wave of relief washed over my cold face and sore feet as I swung open the door. Inside the apartment it looked as though I had just stepped into a red carpet event and it took a minute for me to recognize anyone. Who are you people? The girls I see dressed in frumpy black attire every day now looked like they had just walked out of Glamour magazine. And the guys...they looked like they belonged in GQ. Too bad more than half of them were batting for the other team. What a room! I'm sure glad I didn't go with the sweat pants.
            You know it's been far too long since you last went out with the crew, when everyone stops in mid conversation to drop their jaws when they see you walk into a room. "Oh my God! Marcy is here? I can't believe it. I just can not believe it." It was a mixture of surprised happiness that so many friends were excited to see me, but it also made me aware of how anti-social I had become too. I really do need to get out on the town and spend more time with people. My cat is getting sick of looking at my face anyway. She needs her space. If someone had told me ten years ago that I would be living in New York City, standing in a room full of some of the most talented singers, dancers, artists and actors I've come to know, wearing a little black dress at a Christmas cocktail party, I would have rolled my eyes and laughed in their face. Just ten years ago, I was drowning in a life that was going nowhere and working hard to pretend that I was. At the time I was in the fourth year of a relationship that had ended bitterly before the year was even over. I had but one close friend I hardly had time to see because I was working two dead end jobs while attending a community college, studying a major I wanted nothing to do with, and I was living in my childhood bedroom with my parents in the next room. Then, like a stack of cards, my life had suddenly fallen away, one card at a time. With one bold decision, I ended up moving to New York City and I was now standing in this apartment, smelling the pine of a chubby blue spruce decorated in shimmering silver garland and sparkling red balls while having adult conversation about life, work, the pursuit of happiness and laughing at the follies of our daily lives. Who could have imagined such a dramatic change? Not me.
            Making a round about the finely decorated living room of the apartment, I saw not only the faces I often see throughout the week, but there were also some old friends who had moved on to do other things. Although it had been nearly a year since I had looked into some of their eyes, it was as though not a day had gone by. Across the space, like a shining star, I spotted one of my favorite people in New York and also one of the hosts of the party, Charming Chad (I like to call him). And like two planets being pulled in by gravitational force, we bee-lined across the room and embraced like a cosmic collision. Chad, a tall and slender man in his mid twenties, with a flare for the finer things in life, is one of the classiest people I have ever met. Having lived in France for some time, studying fine art and the French language, he stood out in the crowd donning his red bow tie and sparkling green and back sweater like a character in one of Jean-Luc Godard's New Wave films. Only he could get away with a look like that. 
            As the night carried on, the merrier we all got and the louder our excited voices seemed to get. A few times our hosts had to shush us like unruly school children and we would cower in shame, sip our drinks, then slowly slide back into our conversations until the volume red lined again not a few minutes later. Their neighbors had to have hated every one of us by the time the party broke up at two a.m. For some of us, the night was still young and although I'm usually fast asleep by this time and I had to work in the morning, I was already out and had to head back another thirty blocks in the same direction everyone was going anyway so, I thought, I might as well stop half way home and warm up with one more drink with my friends. Poor Chad, as classy as he is, the man's slender frame was not built to sustain high volumes of alcohol. What grace he kept in holding himself together for one more round with the rest of us. However, had the night lasted any longer, I probably would have seen a different side of him–the upchuck Chad side.
            At an Irish pub where many of us who live in the neighborhood had often found ourselves in the past, after a rough night or a day off in good weather, the five of us sat at a high wooden table by the bar listening to bad country music and sipped on pints of beer. What felt like minutes were really two hours later and before we knew it the lights were turned up and our cups were dry. Where does the time go? I'd have asked Chad that question, but I don't think he even knew where he was by then, let alone the time of day. Sure was great to make those memories and bridge the gap of change with experiences we could enjoy together. Days like this will not last forever, like everything in life. It's inevitable that this too shall pass. However, I would rather live and lost than to never to have lived at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment