Saturday, September 8, 2012

A little Ray of sunshine

            After months of sending out e-mails to producers, PR reps and web site sign-ups requesting audience admission to Rachael Ray's CBS morning talk show, I finally received a reply. When I clicked on my inbox a few weeks ago, I found that I was not only invited to the filming of one of the new season's episodes of the show, but that I was invited to THREE upcoming episodes! Ask and you shall receive. Also, the invitation not only allowed myself in, but it extended for up to three other guests to join me! My cup runneth over! However, says the fine print, I may only attend one of the three episodes for this season–so they can keep the audience fresh and new, and give others a chance to experience the Rachael Ray show as well. But, I had the choice of any of the three I wanted. Fine. I'll just go this once, but I might be back next season Rachael Ray, you haven't heard the last of me. Of the three dates I was given, I chose today's noon taping and sent my reply the minute I finished reading the e-mails.
            This morning, after being stuck on the downtown train for thirty-five minutes, due to a signal malfunction, I met with my guest of choice, Erin, the only person who I could think of that could stomach my giddy, over the top excitement without wanting to punch me in the face. After a slow ride through Manhattan we finally made it to the CBS studios with an hour to spare. Erin's a good sport–not quite a foodie like me–but she can certainly appreciate good food when she eats it. While standing outside in the inferno of summer's last stand for an hour, trying hopelessly to keep our perspiration from getting out of control, we basked in the happiness of having a Friday off and of finally seeing a live taping of Rachael Ray. In line I noticed that of maybe a hundred people, including us, most of the audience members were middle-aged woman with a sad handful of men. Two of which were definitely dragged by their governing wives. Poor guys. In our very carefully chosen outfits, in accordance to the guidelines of the producers' meticulous dress code, we all looked like a box of crayons melting in the heat while waiting patiently to go into the studio. For the past few weeks we've all been sent reminders of the dress code until they were practically drilled into our heads. They were being as tough on us as nuns at a catholic school. We weren't allowed to wear sneakers, flip flops, sequins, (Really? No sequins? Dang it!) ripped jeans, khakis, capris, hats, T-shirts, white or off-white clothes of any kind. Jewel tones only. Sheesh, Rachael, you're killing my wardrobe. Did they forget that the show was based out of New York? The color scheme for a typical New Yorker's wardrobe consists of probably 70% black, 10% dark blue, 10% white, 8% gray matter and 2% bright red for those sultry, look at me nights. I had to dig deep for the outfit I had on and Erin almost had to make a trip out to the middle of Queens to search through her storage unit.
            At noon, the line shuffled like a herd of cattle into the building and went through a tight security check just inside the door. My first thought when I took a look at the dreaded metal detector and three guards was, why on earth would Rachael Ray need this kind of security? Unless...it was the special guest on the show who needed the extra security measures. How exciting. None of us were told who the special guest was going to be, probably for the purpose of keeping the element of surprise as genuine as possible for the cameras and to keep the unwanted visitors during the filming. Hmm. Once through security we filed into another line for mug shot-like photos. Here, everyone in the audience stood one-by-one against a wall, smiled for the camera, then took a seat in the waiting room when they were done. While I was standing in line to take my own picture, I couldn't help but think that this felt like being in a science fiction movie. I imagined that we were probably smiling for a photo that would later be used against us in case of an escape. Our fictional characters thought we were just going to a talk show, but in reality, it turns out to be a cloning experiment that goes awry and we all take off running for our lives and the "hosts" of the show begin hunting us down, one-by-one, and because of those dang pictures we took of our stupid smiling faces that they plastered all over the city we had nowhere to hide! Deep Breath. Awkward smile. SNAP. "Next!"
            The waiting room looked something similar to an emergency waiting room. In front of us was a flat screen television broadcasting CBS's daytime television for our entertainment. But, instead of the vending machines that you would typically find in a waiting room, we had a craft table consisting of Sara Lee muffins and bottles of water to keep us satisfied. I wondered, isn't that a conflict of interest? Don't they want people to bake their own muffins instead of buying the pre-made and highly processed variety? I suppose I was expecting something freshly baked from one of Rachael Ray's many recipes. Something we could actually test and venture to make ourselves. Odd choice. How disappointing.
            Just before being led inside the studio, the audience applause generator, (as I like to call them) who went by the name of Joey, came into the room announcing himself with a booming voice, snapping us out of the trance of day time television and focusing our attention on him. Joey's very job is to do this. His sole purpose there was to let us know when to clap, how hard to clap, when to "Oooh" if something is exciting, "Mmm" when we believe something tastes good and when to laugh at Rachael's silly little jokes, so she's not alone in her attempt at humor. I remember watching episodes of I Love Lucy with my parents when I was still very young, before my little brain could understand some of the humor.  I used to sometimes listen for the giggles of the audience off screen to cue me when to laugh so that I wouldn't seem so out of the loop with the jokes in front of the adults. Most of the time I would laugh at genuinely funny moments, but sometimes there was nothing particularly funny happening but one giggle from an audience member in the show would cue me to spurt out in laughter and confuse the crap out of my parents. They would look at me like I was either crazy or in amazement that I got something that they didn't. In reality, I had no clue. Joey was great at his job. His energy level was at a 10 for sure, while the rest of us were hovering between and 7 or 8 in the beginning. However, a couple of minutes later with Joey and a little extra push, we were reaching a level near 9 before we were led into the studio in the next space.
            The set was beautiful and very much like Rachael Ray. Everything was bright and dressed in the typical Fall color scheme and our jewel toned outfits fit the decor perfectly. Nice touch. Although, I did enjoy her retro kitchen set on 30-Minute Meals more. When everyone was settled and we saw that no one else was coming in behind us, many of us began to look around in confusion as to why there was still a gaping whole beside me, where thirty-one seats remained unclaimed. Do I smell? With some consideration, I came to the assumption that they were claiming these seats for guests appearing on the show. While that thought was still roaming around in my head, Rachael Ray herself, the mistress of ceremonies, popped out from back stage and sat in a seat right beside me. Oh, snap, Rachael Ray...is sitting next to me. Bringing her 5'3" self to our level on the stands, she sat and had a conversation with the audience confirming my assumption. She explained the gaping hole she was in the middle of and let us in on the itinerary for the first half of the show. The first set-up was a fashion sequence where one of Rachael's frequent guests on the show came up with a bit having to do with mixing and matching seven different outfits to get thirty-one different looks that could stretch over a thirty-one day month. Hence the thirty-one open seats in the audience that were reserved for the models. The outfits consisted of different, generic designs, that anyone could pick up at a local retail-clothing store, like Target or Walmart, and do the same mix and match at home. I'm not exactly a fashion guru but the outfits were not exactly the greatest choices for mixing and matching for a solid month. However, it was interesting to see the thirty-one variations they could come up with that were thrown on these very inexperienced, but eager housewives and Rachael groupies. Joey was on set and had us clapping vigorously for every model as they stepped out of line to show us their outfit, to the point that our hands were beginning to get a little raw by the time the next set rolled around.
            The following guest on the show, let me rephrase that–THE guest star of the show, was introduced by Rachael as Marcus Samuelsson. Without cable television, I've been out of the cooking loop for nearly a year now, so Marcus may very well be a well-known and very established chef on the Food Network, but until today's show, I had no clue who Marcus Samuelsson was. Apparently, he gained popular fare for being the chef to cook President Obama's first state dinner in 2009. His spot on the show was to promote his new book called "Yes, Chef'" which has just recently been put on the shelves of bookstores nation wide. Marcus was an energetic, wirery man who had us drooling over a dish of grits that he spruced up with the season’s latest produce. Joey had us going back and forth mumbling our "Mm’s" and clapping passionately between the two cues that we began jumbling the two expressions to the point that half of the audience was clapping and the other half was "Mming." I think we were starting to annoy Joey a little bit. It was sudden waving of his hands to stop and pay attention to him instead of watching the action that was happening with Rachael that gave it away. Sheesh Joey. We came here to see Rachael do her thing, not act like sound effects the entire time. Between commercials he would try to motivate us to keep up with him by bribing us with prizes. Extra large t-shirts and books you could pick up at the Family Dollar for a buck. Err, thanks Joey, I always wanted to read that one.
            When Rachael was through with her guest, it was on to her own thirty-minute meal. Finally. I haven't been able to watch her shows for nearly a year now, so this was the moment I had been waiting for. She prepared a simple corn flake crusted, hand formed turkey burger with fresh herbs and topped it with fresh vegetables on a lightly toasted bun. Lovely recipe Rachael, if only I ate turkey burgers. Well done anyway. By this point Erin and I were starving, but the show had yet to go on and we continued clapping away and "Mming" our hunger to the sound department while wiped our mouths of drool for the cameras.
            By the next quick set, I could begin to see that Rachael's usually peppy attitude was beginning to give way to something a little more forbidding. I noticed little spurts of it earlier in her demeanor, when she seemed to forget she had an audience. However, when the models were recalled to the set to capture close-ups for the cameras, Rachael questioned, whom I believe was the assistant production manager, whether she and her fashion guru needed to go through their dialogue again or not. Apparently, the assistant production manager's response was not quick enough or articulated clearly enough for Rachael, because she pretty much ripped the guy a new one in a very passive aggressive way. It seemed as though it was a quick response that came from her slowly bubbling rage, because she appeared to have checked herself when she looked up at the audience and remembered that she had over a hundred pairs of eyes looking back at her. Maybe behind the scenes, this guy was actually the biggest egomaniac who ever worked for CBS and deserved a little ass ripping, I don't know. I guess I can't really judge anyone's motives unless I've walked a mile in their shoes, but he didn't look very full of himself in that moment. In fact, he seemed as though he was about to cry as he shuffled back across the set and scooted behind the massive studio camera, putting as much distance from himself and Rachael as possible. The audience didn't know what to do in that moment. We all just looked at Joey for guidance, but even he didn't say another word. In fact, he looked just as awkward as the rest of us. It was like watching a couple fight at the dinner table in front of you. While you can't really remove yourself from the scene, you just sit there, feeling awkwardly out of place, bow your head and shovel food into your mouth just to have something to do with yourself. However, being a part of the show and possibly caught on camera at any given moment, you can't be looking around the room and up at the ceiling to avoid the drama on set, you have to look straight ahead at the scene and smile, even if crookedly, for the camera while making it look as genuine as possible. Rachael did not seem very happy after that, although she was probably trying to keep it together. I don't understand it. Like any other job that you've done for so long and although as glamorous as it may seem, it will eventually begin to feel like any other job at some point. She probably comes in, grabs her coffee, goes to a production meeting, rehearses, blocks, films, films, films, cleans up, goes home with tomorrows homework in tow and then does it all over again the next day. Some variation will happen in between, of course, and after a decade of doing this along with the magazine that she puts out every month, including recipes she actually takes the time to put together herself, not to mention a husband to spend time with at home and the other ventures she has going on the side. She's entitled to get cranky. I get it. However, I've been that guy who she made to look small once and I'm sure she was in his shoes at one time or another too. So when the job begins to feel like pulling teeth and it's not fun anymore, maybe it's time to move on or let something go. That way you're not doing everything halfway and making yourself and everyone else miserable. She could probably quit everything now and still have enough residual income to live very comfortably for the rest of her life. I would certainly miss her quirky little jokes, her inventive recipes and funny word jumbles, but maybe it's time to take some advice from good ol' Seinfeld...and quit while you're still on top. That way you go out with a bang and you're always welcome to come back and do something else.
            After one last little set-up, with a one-on-one with Rachael and the camera, the show was over and Rachael thanked her audience for their support. Joey had been bribing us all afternoon with prizes and a surprise gift to take home with us, so we were all pumped to see what this surprise was going to be. When we walked out of the studio we were each gifted with October's issue of "Every Day with Rachael Ray" and then shuffled out of the building the way we came in. I wasn't expecting Oprah sized gifts like a week long vacation to Hawaii or a new car, but I was hoping to at least get a copy of "Yes, Chef,'" since the guest star was on the show was promoting the book. Geez Rachael Ray, what gives? Sarah Lee and now this? Meeting any celebrity I've come to admire, I'm always weary that they'll disappoint me by being cruel or unfriendly. I've seen enough of that to always have it in the back of my mind when I work with or meet an A-lister somewhere. However, I always remember that they're people who have bad days too and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Some of my favorite artists were known to be tyrants. Take Charlie Chaplin for instance, one of the directors I probably admire more than any other, spent more time yelling at his crew and firing people on a daily basis than anyone I've ever heard of. Although, he was also under the immense stress of casting, directing, writing, producing, acting, editing and composing the music for nearly every one of his hundred or so films. AND, he raised eleven children all in that time! Tell me there isn't a fine line between genius and insanity and I'll give you Charlie Chaplin. So I forgive your cranky ways Rachael Ray, and I'll enjoy reading my October issue of "Every Day with Rachael Ray" and continue watching your shows when I can. All is well. Let's just hope her assistant production manager doesn't hold a grudge. You never know who he could be some day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment